Ego disguises itself cleverly within you and then goes about convincing you that it is you.
We invest so much effort and energy into preserving our ego, yet I'm learning that it's only by letting go of the ego that we can truly be set free to live a life of inspired abundance.
If I reflect on the teachings of Wallace Wattles in The Science of Getting Rich, I conclude ego is a vestige of the competitive plane, whereas lasting prosperity and freedom reside within the creative plane.
If you want to ponder this idea further, I recommend you watch the film Revolver, which is a very unusual and off beat reflection on the evils of the ego by Guy Ritchie.
Meanwhile, here are 7 quotes about ego as you consider whether your ego is your friend or enemy:
- "Ego is the biggest enemy of humans" Rig Veda
- "One may understand the cosmos, but never the ego; the self is more distant than any star" GK Chesterton
- "Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego" Friedrich Nietzsche
- "It is the nature of the ego to take and the nature of the spirit to share" Proverb
- "Today self-consciousness no longer means anything but reflection on the ego as embarrassment, as realization of impotence: knowing that one is nothing" Thedor Adorno
- "The ultimate aim of the ego is not to see something, but to be something." Muhammed Iqbal
- "Every normal person, in fact, is only normal on the average. His ego approximates to that of the psychotic in some part or other and to a greater or lesser extent." Sigmund Freud