Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Life Can Pass You By Quickly

Are you letting key experiences in your life pass you by?

My kids' Christmas concert was last night at their school.

As I watched my daughter singing in the choir, I was overcome with emotion and pride at what an amazing young lady she is blossoming into.

And yet there was a tinge of sadness at the same time.

It took me a while to understand it, but I believe the sadness came from realizing she is no longer a little girl and there is so much of her growing up that I missed and now it's gone.

And then when I watched my son perform, I couldn't help but notice the joy and excitement he brought with him. He has a natural curiosity and wonder typical of a busy 5 year old.

Our kids are over 7 years apart.

Because I chose to build my own home business, I've had the opportunity to spend the past 20 months watching him grow up and sharing so many neat experiences with him. The contrast in experiences for me between the two is dramatic.

And it's helped me realize that life passes by very quickly.

It seems just like yesterday that my daughter was born, but it was actually over 12 years ago. Where did the time go?

That's part of the reason the past 20 months have been a lot about catching up on lost time. We've packed a lot of travel and family time and experiences into the past 2 years. And we've grown much closer as a family.

I'm so grateful that I have learned this lesson now, while I'm still relatively young (yes ... late 40s is still young!) in my life.

I'm learning that indeed, the things I most regret in life are the things I didn't get to do.

And so my intention for the New Year is to stay fully present in my life and fully experience the experiences. I choose to not allow my life to pass me by.

=======================
To learn more about how to live your life the way you want to, visit my website at http://www.inspiredabundance.com/.

No comments: