Wednesday, August 13, 2008

What is Leadership and Who are You Leading?

Leadership is a topic which seems to always be front and center when it comes to personal growth and development.

And there are key considerations to the topic of leadership: Who are you leading? And who's leading you?

I've come to understand that's a bit of a trick question -- because the answer to either question needs to be "me".

If I'm not leading me first, then who would want to follow me?

The key to what I'm getting is who I'm being. And who I'm being is an "inside job" ... it's about my thoughts and the inner focus I bring which sets the basesline from I take action.


"The challenge of leadership is to be strong, but not rude;
be kind, but not weak; be bold, but not bully; be thoughtful,
but not lazy; be humble, but not timid; be proud, but not
arrogant; have humor, but without folly."

Jim Rohn

So when I am confidently being the leader of me, then I find and exhibit the balancing of those challenges Jim Rohn speaks of. I'm strong, kind, bold, thoughtful, humble and proud in my thinking and my words with myself and with others. And I find the humour in things. I operate in a relaxed and confident manner.

Your level of leadership is merely a reflection of your internal energy, your focus, your expectation, and your willingness to step into action.

I can either be a leader or I can be a victim.

So which are you? What decision are you willing to make for yourself today about who you intend to be. What example will you set today for yourself, for your kids, for your partner, for your friends, or for your co-workers?

So, given this conversation, what is leadership for you today? And who are you choosing to lead today?

Choose well.

No comments: